We require our suppliers and contractors to comply with all applicable national legislation, export-import compliance, regulatory requirements, and project-specific sustainability requirements established by our customers. They are also required to be consistent with relevant external sustainability principles and guidelines with regard to:
- Respecting labor rights and fair working conditions, including the right to association, where legal, and worker safety
- Prohibiting and eliminating all use of forced or child labor
- Practicing nondiscrimination in recruitment, hiring, training, and promotion
Our sustainability expectations may vary depending on a contractor’s scope of work, site-specific context, or when special conditions or commitments already exist. Suppliers and contractors may be required to respond to bid specifications and/or submit, prior to starting work, specific plans for addressing particular sustainability aspects, such as:
- Implementing a working environment that protects the health and safety of workers and communities consistent with Bechtel’s standards and relevant external principles and guidelines
- Executing programs for sustainable design and purchasing, including goods made with recycled content, reduced toxicity, or that meet “eco-label” standards
- Providing security services in a manner that respects human rights and consistent with international security and human rights principles
- Engaging with indigenous peoples, other vulnerable groups and cultural heritage consistent with Bechtel’s standards and relevant external principles and guidelines
- Supporting our customer’s stakeholder engagement, including grievance procedures and reporting
Suppliers and contractors will be evaluated favorably in bid evaluations by demonstrating a comprehensive understanding of, and ability to respond to, these and other sustainability aspects.
For more information, visit Bechtel’s requirements for suppliers and contractors in Business Ethics, Supplier Diversity, and Environmental, Safety & Health.