The sustainability mission of Bechtel is to protect people and the environment, partner with communities and society, and promote economic development.
To this end, we will:
- Apply our proven processes, experience and innovation in engineering, environmental safety and health, procurement, construction, and operations to develop, design, and execute projects with care for the environment, as well as for the safety and well-being of the people who can be affected by our projects.
- Be supportive to the communities that host our projects and offices and use inclusive, participatory engagement by which local cultures and values are respected, dialogue is promoted and mutual trust is built.
- Build and enhance the capacity of workers and businesses through local procurement and hiring and by stimulating long-term economic development beyond the projects we deliver.
While these efforts are influenced by local issues and project complexity, Bechtel is committed to enhancing the positive effects of our projects and avoiding or mitigating the negative ones. This commitment is embodied in Bechtel’s Vision, Values, and Covenants; Environmental, Safety and Health Management System; and Code of Conduct. These, and other supporting policies and processes, are aimed at ensuring that Bechtel is improving sustainability outcomes for all customers and stakeholders wherever we operate in the world.
Bechtel is committed to achieving net zero emissions by 2050. We are intent on reducing emissions first (not offsetting) followed by carbon removal to supplement as we get closer to our goal. We are also committed to aligning with our customers and working with our partners and suppliers to ensure we, and the industry, achieve sustainable results.
This policy applies to all Bechtel employees, projects, and facilities:
- Projects: Identify and assess sustainability issues that can affect projects during development, design, construction and operation; identify and implement activities to manage these issues consistent with customer goals and requirements, Bechtel policies and standards, and relevant external guidelines.
- Conservation: Implement activities that are economically and operationally practicable to protect the environment, including reducing energy use and air emissions, water and resource consumption, and waste generation.
- Stakeholders: Engage with key stakeholders to build understanding and maintain trust; implement programs that improve the quality of life where we work or help address broader societal issues.
- Workplace: Create and maintain workplaces that promote Bechtel’s ethics, quality, and environmental, safety and health standards.
- Employees: Treat all employees with respect and dignity and promote diversity in the workplace consistent with Bechtel’s Vision, Values, and Covenants.
- Continuous Improvement: Strengthen Bechtel’s sustainability through education, innovation, and the appropriate use of relevant industry standards and external guidelines, such as the International Finance Corporation Performance Standards on Environmental and Social Sustainability and the United Nations Guiding Principles on Business and Human Rights.