Here are the facts:
- Fremont Group is an investment company. Although it originated as a unit of Bechtel, it has been a separate, independent company since 1986.
- The alleged “news” about the bin Laden family’s investment in one of Fremont’s funds is not new. It was reported more than a year ago.
- The bin Laden family is totally estranged from Osama. It has denounced his actions since the mid-1990s.
- Over the years, Bechtel has occasionally worked with the bin Laden family’s construction company.
- There is no “money trail” between Osama and either the bin Laden family’s investment in a Fremont fund or Bechtel’s reconstruction work in Iraq.
- Fremont Group follows all applicable laws, including the Patriot Act of 2001, which requires investors to be screened for connections to terrorism.