Bechtel has been named the top U.S. contractor by Engineering News-Record (ENR), the leading U.S. publication for the engineering and construction industry. This marks the 18th consecutive year that Bechtel has ranked first on ENR’s Top 400 Contractors list, which is based on 2015 construction revenue.
In addition, the company was recognized as a top contractor on the following lists:
- Top 20 Petroleum
- Top 20 Transportation
- Top 20 Industrial
- Top 50 Contractors Working Abroad
"This recognition reflects the exceptional work of the men and women of Bechtel during a time of economic volatility,” said Brendan Bechtel, the company’s president and COO. “Once again, our 55,000 colleagues worldwide delivered the extraordinary performance our customers expect of us and we expect of ourselves. This enduring commitment to excellence will sustain and expand our competitive position in today’s difficult market.”
Together with its customers, Bechtel delivers landmark projects – the modern marvels of the world – that foster sustainable progress and grow economies. Among its many current projects, Bechtel is helping customers build roads and rail systems in Europe; natural gas-fired power projects in the United States; airports in the Middle East; and liquefied natural gas processing facilities in Australia. From cleaning up nuclear waste at Hanford, Washington to eliminating chemical weapons stockpiles in Colorado and Kentucky, Bechtel teams are ridding the world of some of the most dangerous byproducts of World War II and the Cold War. In Gabon, Bechtel is executing the build-out of national infrastructure to support sustainable economic development, while in Saudi Arabia, it is designing a new industrial city. With these and every other project, Bechtel places a core focus on protecting people and the environment, promoting local economic development and partnering with communities and societies.
In addition to successful execution of projects around the globe, Bechtel and its affiliated projects received several industry recognitions in 2015, including:
- Project of the Year status from the UK’s National Rail Awards, for Reading Station.
- Three Employer Awards for Diversity from the UK’s Women in Science and Engineering, the Australian National Association of Women in Construction (NAWIC), and Legal Momentum.
- Five sustainability awards from the U.S. Department of Energy to the Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory, the Los Alamos National Laboratory, and the Y-12 National Security Complex for driving improvements in waste management, energy and water use, and pollution prevention.
- The U.S. government’s Voluntary Protection Program Star Status for excellence in safety for the Blue Grass Chemical Agent Destruction Pilot Plant project, the Los Alamos National Laboratory, the Savannah River Remediation LLC, and the Hanford Waste Treatment Plant project.
- Three Learning In Practice Awards from Chief Learning Officer magazine for demonstrating excellence in designing and delivering employee development programs.
- The highest grade in Transparency International UK’s Defence Companies Anti-Corruption Index 2015. Bechtel was one of only four companies to achieve the highest grade in the Index, which measured the transparency and quality of ethics and anti-corruption programs of 163 defense companies from 47 countries.
- Designation as one of America’s Best Employers from Forbes magazine.