Skip to content

Bechtel’s Impact Report

Shell And Bechtel Enterprises Complete Joint Venture Aligning Power Generation

  • 12 December 2000
    Boston, MA
  • Press Release

Shell And Bechtel Enterprises Complete Joint Venture Aligning Power Generation

As a result of the agreement the majority of the natural gas pipeline, storage, and power generation assets of Shell's Coral Energy affiliate in the United States will be transferred to InterGen. The alignment of assets will be strengthened with marketing and trading in North America, through InterGen's ownership of a 30 percent equity interest in Coral Energy, the region's fifth largest natural gas marketer and 19th largest power marketer. Globally, the alignment will enable InterGen to leverage Shell's strengths in both fuel supply and power marketing and trading. Bechtel will continue to be InterGen's preferred provider of engineering, procurement, and construction services for power generation worldwide and for onshore gas pipelines in the U.S. By contributing these assets, Shell's ownership in InterGen increases to 68 percent with Bechtel Enterprises owning the remaining 32 percent.

For Coral Energy, alignment with an expanding InterGen power generation portfolio will support its growing gas and power marketing and trading business. Coral will participate as part of Shell's global trading network, working with InterGen as a business partner in the rapid expansion of its asset platform in North America.

Key Contact

About Bechtel

Bechtel is a trusted engineering, construction and project management partner to industry and government. Differentiated by the quality of our people and our relentless drive to deliver the most successful outcomes, we align our capabilities to our customers’ objectives to create a lasting positive impact. Since 1898, we have helped customers complete more than 25,000 projects in 160 countries on all seven continents that have created jobs, grown economies, improved the resiliency of the world's infrastructure, increased access to energy, resources, and vital services, and made the world a safer, cleaner place.  

Bechtel serves the Energy; Infrastructure; Manufacturing & Technology; Mining & Metals; and Nuclear, Security & Environmental markets. Our services span from initial planning and investment, through start-up and operations.

RSS icon Add the Bechtel News Feed to my RSS reader.