Skip to content

Bechtel’s Impact Report

Bechtel To Build Algerian Natural Gas Pipeline

  • 14 August 2001
    London, UK
  • Press Release

Bechtel To Build Algerian Natural Gas Pipeline

The first phase of the project, costing $1.7 billion, will include the development of three gas fields. During the second phase, worth $781 million, four additional fields will come onstream.

Bechtel was awarded a contract to build a 460-kilometer pipeline linking the In Salah fields to an existing network that will transport the gas northward for export.

The project is expected to boost Algeria’s natural gas output by 15 percent while contributing to a significant increase in BP’s production, according to a company spokesman. Sonatrach will buy approximately 56 percent of the annual production at In Salah and sell it in Europe. ENEL of Italy has agreed to purchase the other 44 percent.

Key Contact

About Bechtel

Bechtel is a trusted engineering, construction and project management partner to industry and government. Differentiated by the quality of our people and our relentless drive to deliver the most successful outcomes, we align our capabilities to our customers’ objectives to create a lasting positive impact. Since 1898, we have helped customers complete more than 25,000 projects in 160 countries on all seven continents that have created jobs, grown economies, improved the resiliency of the world's infrastructure, increased access to energy, resources, and vital services, and made the world a safer, cleaner place.  

Bechtel serves the Energy; Infrastructure; Manufacturing & Technology; Mining & Metals; and Nuclear, Security & Environmental markets. Our services span from initial planning and investment, through start-up and operations.

RSS icon Add the Bechtel News Feed to my RSS reader.