We believe that every incident is preventable
Bechtel continues to be an industry leader in safety. We are relentless in our approach to prevent each and every accident as we believe that every incident, and therefore every occupational injury and illness, is preventable.
On the job
Every one of our colleagues—as well as our partners and subcontractors—has stop-work authority. If it's not safe, we don't do it. We reinforce this philosophy through a combination of technical field procedures, ongoing training, and a Life Critical Requirements Program that highlights activities that could be life-threatening when not executed according to published procedures.
Public safety is a critical part of our environmental, safety, and health programs, and we work with all appropriate stakeholders to improve industry and national standards. On many projects, we prepare and implement traffic safety management plans specific to the work site and to the local roads over which equipment and materials flow to support construction.
The result is exceptional safety performance, even in hazardous work environments, severe weather, and remote locations.
Project safety milestones
Forty-seven projects achieved at least 1 million safe work hours in 2013. Below is a list of Bechtel projects with the most consecutive job hours without a lost-time incident.
- Savannah River Remediation, USA, 31.1 million safe hours
- Ras Al Khair, Saudi Arabia, 28.9 million safe hours
- Watts Bar Unit 2 Completion, USA, 16.5 million safe hours
- Pascagoula Base Oil Project, USA, 11.7 million safe hours
- Wheatstone Onslow Site LNG, Australia, 9.6 million safe hours
- OM202 Senimdi Kurlys, Kazakhstan, 9.5 million safe hours
- Surmont Phase 2, Canada, 8.8 million safe hours
- Angola LNG Project, Angola, 8.5 million safe hours
- Ivanpah Solar Electric Generating System, USA, 7.2 million safe hours
Safety is personal