Building Transport Infrastructure for California’s Fastest Growing County
For over 30-years, Bechtel has been working alongside the Riverside County Transportation Commission in Southern California to deliver in excess of $4 billion worth of transport infrastructure. The essential road and rail projects have supported the county’s rapid population growth and increased its connectivity to key cities, including Los Angeles.
Projects delivered have included 21 highway and freeway projects, 18 inter-changes, viaducts, bridges, and a 21-mile (39 kilometer) commuter rail line with four stations.
Integrated team solution
Bechtel works in a fully integrated, co-located team with Riverside County Transportation Commission to support its program of projects. We are currently supporting $1.5 billion of work, comprising 17 highway and seven rail projects. Of these, seven projects are in the construction phase, nine in the environmental approval phase, five projects in design, and three projects in the inception/scoping phase.
Bechtel provides program management services, construction management, engineering management, planning and environmental oversight, risk management, and document control.
- $471 million investment to improve Interstate 15 between Cajalco Road and State Route 60.
- Project spans about 20-miles and adds two tolled express lanes in both directions.
- Work includes the widening of 11 bridges and construction of noise-blocking walls along the route. This project will provide multiple entry and exit points within the 15 Express Lanes and extend Riverside County’s express lane network to get people to their destinations faster.
- In construction
State route 91
State Route 91 in Riverside County ranked among the U.S.’s worst commutes. Approximately 280,000 motorists use this roadway daily between Riverside County and Orange County, and this number is expected to grow to 420,000 daily by 2040.
- $1.4bn investment to extend the 91 Express Lanes from the Riverside County/Orange County Line to Interstate 15, providing the first tolled express lanes in Riverside County
- Stretches 10-miles, with two tolled Express Lanes in each direction
- Works included 32 bridge structures and the widening of 6 miles of road[WJ1]
- Completed in 2017
Perris Valley rail line
- 21-mile double track commuter railway extension, including four new train stations
- The extended rail line provides improved and alternate transport options for an estimated 4,000 people per day travelling through Riverside County, Orange County to Los Angeles County.
- Completed in 2016