Bechtel provided engineering, project management, and construction management services for the new Hamad International Airport in Qatar.
Opened in 2014, Hamad (formerly New Doha International Airport) replaces Doha International Airport. It provides significantly increased passenger capacity and cargo facilities. Hamad also offers airfield capacity for a wide range of aircraft including the latest A380 within the ever-expanding fleet of Qatar Airways.
Immense and sophisticated
The new airport initially accommodates 24 million passengers and 750,000 metric tons of cargo annually. It features, among other facilities:
- two of the longest commercial runways in the world
- a control tower some 85 meters (about 280 feet) tall
- a striking passenger terminal of nearly 5.5 million square feet (some 510,000 square meters) with 40 gates
- a separate terminal for the Emir of Qatar
- a general aviation terminal
- a cargo terminal
- a 150,000-square-meter (1.6 million-square-foot) aircraft maintenance center
- one of the world’s largest airport catering facilities
- state-of-the art air-traffic-control equipment and security systems