Bechtel Releases Annual Sustainability Report
22 July 2015
Report Highlights Groundbreaking Sustainability Work
Bechtel announced today the release of its annual Sustainability Report, showcasing projects and innovations that are delivering sustainable cities, fostering cleaner energy, and preserving scarce water resources worldwide.
“In every project we undertake, no matter the scale, we place a core focus on protecting people and the environment, as well as promoting local economic development and partnering with communities and society” said Bechtel Global Corporate Affairs Manager, Charlene Wheeless “This is being done in an age of rising urbanization, growing water scarcity, and finding new paths to energy security."
Added Tam Nguyen, the company’s global head of sustainability: “Global megatrends are changing the way we design, construct, and operate critical structures and systems. Today, Bechtel colleagues around the world are addressing these challenges to create solutions that will benefit society in the long run.”
Notable examples highlighted in the report include:
- Preserving Chile’s scarce groundwater while developing one of the largest desalinated water supply systems in the world for two copper concentrators in the Andes
- Reducing particulate emissions by 85 percent while constructing Crossrail, one of the largest infrastructure projects in Europe.
- Delivering natural gas to 1.5 million homes across Texas through some of the cleanest, most efficient gas-fueled power plants developed to-date.
- Achieving the best safety record in the company’s 117-year history.
- Spending more than $17 billion on goods and services from more than 14,000 suppliers and subcontractors in 70 different countries.
- Empowering 110,000 children, adolescents, and adults around the world through Bechtel’s community development partnerships.