Constructed in 1944, as part of the Manhattan Project to develop the first atomic weapon, the K-25 facility was used to enrich uranium for defense and commercial nuclear power uses. It was closed in 1964. In 2003, DOE awarded Bechtel Jacobs the $2.25 billion cost-plus-incentive-fee contract for accelerated environmental site cleanup at Oak Ridge. Read the DOE press release.
For more information, see articles in The Oak Ridger and the Knoxville News Sentinel.