For the 17th year running, Bechtel has been named the top U.S. contractor by Engineering News-Record (ENR), a leading publication for the engineering and construction industry.
In addition to ranking #1 on ENR’s annual Top 400 Contractors list, Bechtel ranked first on the following specialized lists:
- Top 20 Petroleum
- Top 20 Transportation
- Top 20 Power
- Top 20 Industrial
- Top 20 Hazardous Waste
- Top 50 Contractors Working Abroad
“We’re honored to hold the top rank in what has been a challenging economic environment for all of us in engineering and construction,” said Brendan Bechtel, the company’s president and COO. “We’re dedicated to leading our industry with innovative approaches that deliver the complex, unique projects upon which our customers depend. The 58,000 men and women who work at Bechtel are committed to safely executing high-quality projects – ahead of schedule and within budget – that will improve the world.”
Bechtel is currently partnered with customers worldwide on hundreds of projects, including:
- four LNG plants in Australia—part of Bechtel’s buildout of 1/3 of global LNG capacity under construction
- two major lines of the Riyadh Metro -- helping Saudi Arabia revitalize its rail and transport infrastructure
- twin 13-mile rail tunnels beneath London – part of Crossrail, Europe’s largest infrastructure project
- a first-of-a-kind sustainable water-supply system, linking the Pacific to a mine in Chile’s Atacama Desert
- two natural gas-fired combined-cycle power facilities in Texas and one in Virginia
- a pilot plant in Pueblo, Colorado, for eliminating large U.S. chemical weapons stockpiles
- completion of Watts Bar Unit 2 nuclear power station in Tennessee, the first new U.S. plant since 1996
Through its commitment to environmental, social, and economic sustainability issues, Bechtel has long helped improve the quality of life in communities where it works. The company’s recently completed Hamad International Airport in Qatar and the Ivanpah Solar Electric Generating System in California are just a few examples.
“We’re focused on delivering landmark projects that foster sustainable progress and help local economies,” said Bechtel. He noted that the company provides funding to five non-profits that benefit communities around the world. These Signature Programs include: DiscoverE, Engineers Without Borders, FIRST, Robotics, Junior Achievement, and Ocean Exploration Trust.
View the entire ENR Top 400 List and related article.