We are excited to announce Bechtel’s partnership with the Association for Black and Minority Ethnic Engineers (AFBE-UK).
Currently, around 30% of the U.K.’s engineering university graduates are from black and minority ethnic backgrounds. However, these underrepresented groups account for only 9% of professional engineers. This is largely due to the barriers and challenges these groups face in recruitment, retention, and advancing professional development.
Why partner with AFBE-UK
AFBE-UK is a registered not-for-profit organization with a mission to:
- Increase the participation of individuals from underrepresented groups in the engineering/ construction industry, while also empowering and educating individuals throughout their careers and
- Provide solutions for organizations to improve their diverse representation and create an inclusive and sustainable environment where all have access to opportunities and enjoy meaningful careers.
Bechtel has strong relationships with similar organizations in the U.S., facing similar challenges, such as the National Society of Black Engineers (NSBE) and the National Action Council for Minorities in Engineering (NACME). We work with these organizations to promote awareness of the engineering industry and offer workshops, coaching, and opportunities to advance skills and learn the essentials required to become a professional engineer. These partnerships not only align with Bechtel’s diversity and inclusion goals, which involve building a strong, diverse, and highly qualified pipeline of talent, but they help improve representation in the EPC industry to better reflect the communities in which we work.
AFBE-UK is excited to partner with Bechtel and share best practices, key learnings, and global solutions. Our partnership with AFBE-UK will initially focus on the following areas:
- Targeting and attracting top diverse talent in the U.K. through building strong relationships with schools and universities as well as refining recruitment practices;
- Enhancing both the company and industry culture through engaging on and delivering a variety of events with the AFBE-UK, including outreach events and D&I initiatives; and
- Sharing of industry best practices and lessons learned.
Given our focus on diversity and inclusion and our 70-year history in the U.K., we look forward to working closely with AFBE-UK to champion greater representation in the U.K.’s engineering industry as well as taking one step closer to creating a fairer, more sustainable environment where all can thrive and excel.
Learn more about AFBE-UK and its mission.