Geo-Characterization of Brownfield Site for Modernization of a Large Industrial Facility
17 March 2015
A multi-phase subsurface investigation (SI) program was performed to provide geo-characterization of a brownfield site for the modernization of a large industrial facility. During the planning and implementation of the sitewide SI, the following factors were considered:
- facility/structure loading, geometry, and function;
- site subsurface conditions disclosed by multiple previous SI programs;
- field testing methodology,
- new and revised geohazard evaluation criteria; and
- funding and schedule constraints.
The focus of this manuscript is on the geotechnical aspects of the site; environmental considerations are not addressed. The adopted SI program planning and implementation approach/philosophy is described, and the work carried out for one specific structure is used for illustration. The benefits of the SI approach in mitigating subsurface risk in a cost effective manner is demonstrated. Lessons learned that could be useful to practitioners confronted with site geo-characterization for large-scale projects are also discussed.