We have completed major oil and gas-fired power plants around the world, including in the United States, the Middle East, North Africa, Central America, Korea, Australia, and New Zealand.
Bechtel has been involved in the oil- and gas-fired power plant industry since the late 1940s
- Steam power plants designed to fire oil only, natural gas only, or either oil or natural gas
- Steam power plants designed to fire heavy oil (residual oil or crude oil) with light oil or natural gas ignition fuel (Al Khalij Units 1-4 in Libya, among others)
- Steam power plants designed to produce both electric power and process steam for export (Shoaiba Units 1-5 in Saudi Arabia, among others)
- The first supercritical boiler installation in the western United States (Alamitos Units 5 and 6 at 500 megawatts each)
- The first supercritical boiler installation in Egypt (El Ain El Sokhna Units 1 and 2 in Egypt)
Al Khalij power project, Libya
This power plant is located 12 miles (20 kilometers) west of Sirte, Libya and consists of four 350 megawatt Rankine cycle units designed to fire natural gas, heavy fuel oil, and light fuel oil and in any combination.The power island consists of four tangentially-fired Doosan boilers with low-NOx burners, four reheat Hitachi steam turbines; and once-through seawater cooled condensers.Included are a 0.62-mile (1 kilometer) offshore seawater intake, a 1.2 mile (2 kilometer) single-point offshore mooring for fuel oil unloading, fuel oil storage tanks, and multi-effect desalination units. Bechtel provided engineering, procurement, and project management services.
El Ain El Sokhna power project
This power project is located in Sinai, Egypt and consists of two 650 megwatt supercritical Rankine cycle units designed to fire natural gas, residual fuel oil, and light fuel oil, or in any combination. The Bechtel team provided engineering, procurement, and project management services. The power island consists of two wall-fired Doosan boilers with low-NOx burners, two reheat Hitachi steam turbines; and once-through seawater cooled condensers.
For business inquiries and customer requests
Please contact Linsey Hamilton, Bechtel Marketing Representative