At Bechtel, we know that our customers’ projects demonstrate progress. They bring opportunity for individuals and regions. It is our responsibility to help our customers deliver on the promise of these projects and more. We work to protect the environment and conserve natural resources, support local communities, create new jobs, and improve economies.
We are not motivated to be the largest engineering, procurement, and construction (EPC) company in the industry; we are determined to be the best. We do that by anticipating trends, aligning our expertise with customers’ needs, transforming delivery, building progress, and breaking new ground in everything we do.
Dear customers, colleagues, partners, suppliers, and friends:
On behalf of Bechtel colleagues around the world, we are pleased to share with you our 2015 Sustainability Report. This report highlights a number of projects that demonstrate how we integrate sustainability into the way we work— delivering better outcomes for our customers and the societies that benefit from them.
In every project we undertake, no matter what the scale, we place a core focus on protecting people and the environment, promoting local economic development, and partnering with communities and society—all in an age of rising urbanization, growing water scarcity, and finding new paths to energy security.
In 2014, our groundbreaking results continued. We:
- Achieved the best safety record in the company’s 117-year history, with the lowest recordable incident rates to date: 85 percent of all Bechtel locations completed the year without a single lost-time incident, and 11 of our projects recorded 10 million or more safe work hours
- Reduced particulate emissions by 85 percent at the Crossrail project, which was recognized as the first infrastructure project in the United Kingdom to adopt stringent emissions controls across all work sites
- Spent more than $17 billion on goods and services from more than 14,000 suppliers and subcontractors in 70 different countries
- Were recognized by the U.S. Department of Energy (DOE) with 12 sustainability awards and by Engineering News-Record magazine as one of the leaders in environmental services
- Supported nearly 110,000 children, adolescents, and adults around the world through our partnerships with DiscoverE, Engineers Without Borders, FIRST® Robotics, and Junior Achievement®
After completing an enterprise-wide review of our sustainability capabilities, we are focused on leveraging the growth of data analytics and new technologies to improve the design, constructability, and operability of our projects and their positive effects on society and the environment.
We are engaging with a number of organizations to promote new ideas and initiatives to tackle urbanization, resource development, and energy security. To help the United Nations formulate the post-2015 Sustainable Development Goals, Bechtel prepared the U.S. Council for International Business’ paper on infrastructure. We also launched a Global Sustainability Series together with the Center for Strategic and International Studies (CSIS), a leading policy institution based in Washington, D.C.
We regard sustainability as our responsibility to enhance the positive effects of our projects and to avoid or mitigate the negative ones. We believe that we are not just delivering a physical asset to our customers and communities, but also an enabling environment that will benefit them in the long term.
Sustainability is a core Bechtel value, and we are committed to delivering sustainable outcomes on every project, everywhere we operate. This enduring value has enabled us to contribute to a century of global development—and it will carry us into the next 100 years.