Government customers face unprecedented challenges critical to national security, including weapons demilitarization, environmental cleanup, and facilities modernization. These missions often require one- or first-of-a-kind solutions, and they must be achieved regardless of shifts in the regulatory, political, and budgetary landscape.
Commercial customers in the nuclear power industry are addressing similar pressures. Many utilities have turned away from building new nuclear units, focusing instead on cutting costs and extending the operating life of existing facilities.
Bechtel is focusing our efforts on transforming mission delivery so our customers can achieve mission success.
Bechtel delivers world-class engineering, procurement, construction, operations, and project management services to government and commercial customers to addresses challenges that profoundly affect local communities, nations, and the world. Our expertise spans activities in applications as diverse as defense, global security, nuclear energy, and environmental stewardship.
The Nuclear Security & Environmental business unit had a solid year. We set a record for new work, despite shrinking government budgets and the near-term uncertainty in the nuclear industry.
This year, we consolidated our nuclear, environmental, and security businesses to better deliver across our customers’ project life cycle—from research and development to decontamination and decommissioning.
By forming co-operative solutions with government customers, delivering ongoing innovation, and combining our expertise, we help our government and commercial customers navigate a changing environment and achieve mission success.
Among the notable wins in 2014 was the selection by the UK Ministry of Defence to help transform the delivery of military support services, and to drive improvements in purchasing, project management, and key equipment programs that support the Royal Navy and Air Force.
In the United States, the project team at the Pueblo Chemical Agent-Destruction Pilot Plant received the American Institute of Chemical Engineer’s 2014 Engineering and Construction Award for successfully completing the design and construction of the plant. In 2015, the United States will make a significant step toward complying with a treaty to destroy all of its chemical weapons and to begin neutralizing 2,600 tons of aging mustard agents at this facility.
Significant progress was made at the Hanford Waste Treatment and Immobilization Project, a one-of-a-kind complex that will immobilize nuclear waste. For a second time, the Bechtel-led project earned Star status, the highest recognition in worker safety, from the U.S. Department of Energy’s Voluntary Protection Programs.
Bechtel-led Consolidated Nuclear Security, LLC was selected by the Department of Energy for the combined management of the Pantex Plant, in Texas, and the Y-12 National Security Complex, in Tennessee—two nuclear security weapons facilities separated by more than 1,000 miles (1,609 kilometers). This approach will yield significant savings during the course of the contract. Bechtel will also design and construct the Uranium Processing Facility at Y-12, a critical national security resource that will replace aging Cold War-era facilities.
The Bettis and Knolls Atomic Power Laboratories, two world-class research and development facilities operated by Bechtel Marine Propulsion Corporation, were consolidated into a single organization in continued support of the U.S. Navy’s nuclear-powered submarines and aircraft carriers.
2014 Select Accomplishments
- Completed the replacement of two steam generators and the reactor coolant piping at the Davis-Besse Nuclear Power Station, in Ohio. This pressurized water reactor located 35 miles (56 kilometers) east of Toledo, produces 908 megawatts of electricity, enough to power 450,000 homes.
- Received the prestigious James S. Cogswell Outstanding Industrial Security Achievement Award from the U.S. Department of Defense’s Defense Security Service. Less than 1 percent of more than 13,000 cleared contractors receive this annual award, which recognizes how we maintain the highest standards for protection of the nation’s classified assets.
- Concluded open vessel and primary cold hydrostatic testing at the Watts Bar Unit 2 Completion project, in Tennessee. This will be the first U.S. nuclear unit built this century. Scheduled for completion in 2015, Watts Bar Unit 2 will generate enough carbon-free electricity to power 650,000 homes.
- Honored by the DOE with a Capital Project of the Year designation for the Radiological Laboratory and Utility Office Building at the Los Alamos National Laboratory. Also earned six 2014 R&D 100 Awards, known in the industry as the Oscars® of Invention, for applications in national security, energy, and health sciences at the Lawrence Livermore and Los Alamos laboratories, managed and operated by a partnership led by the University of California and Bechtel.
- Completed ahead of schedule one of the nation’s largest nuclear power plant piping replacement projects, at the Wolf Creek Generating Station, in Kansas. This is a significant upgrade that improved the overall safety and reliability of the plant, which provides clean, reliable, and safe power to thousands of people.
- Oversaw the connection of the halves of the arches for the Chornobyl Shelter Implementation Plan.
We are focused on supporting our customers on existing projects and leveraging our expertise to support new-build programs for European owners. The best opportunity is in the UK, where an aging nuclear and coal fleet must be replaced by the mid-2020s. We are working with EDF Energy to support management of the Hinkley Point project and will make a considerable investment to develop our UK nuclear project execution capability.
We expect to grow the business by partnering with our customers to develop new processes and techniques to safely and cost effectively meet mission requirements.
As part of our strategy, we are:
- Growing our capabilities to provide services throughout the life cycle of customers’ facilities
- Transforming mission delivery for our government customers by leveraging our project management principles and commercial approaches
- Strengthening our next generation of expertise through knowledge-management systems and full life-cycle support
- Expanding our customer base and global footprint
We have also established a permanent engineering and procurement execution center in Virginia. The facility provides a centralized workforce that can quickly respond to customer needs.